Clay Facing Bricks:
For over 20-years BBS has been supplying bricks of all kinds directly to the construction industry. This has been a specialist advice and supply service offered to architects, house-builders, general construction contractors, landscape contractors, and Government bodies such as local Councils. BBS has supply agreements in place with all the major UK and European manufacturers, which allows us access to virtually every brick that is commercially available throughout Europe. In the current supply market there are a significant amount of high-quality European manufacturers who produce facing bricks specifically for the UK market, ensuring conformity to the latest British and European production, quality, and size standards. Manufacturers whose products BBS supply include the following:
• Terca Wienerberger Brick
• Ibstock Brick
• Hanson Brick
• Carlton Brick
• Traditional Brick & Stone (TBS)
• All About Brick (AAB)
• Furness Brick & Tile
• York Handmade Brick
• Ketley Brick
• Northcot Brick
• Coleford Brick & Tile
• Mickelmersh Brick
• W.H. Collier
• Reclaimed Bricks – various sources
At BBS our many years of experience in supplying bricks has built-up a wealth of knowledge to allow us to offer ‘best advice’ with regard to the aesthetic suitability for any given project. Often the brick types we suggest have to work within strict project budget costs, so our market knowledge of the different manufacturer’s flexibility on rates is essential. As such we consider ourselves to be an independent brick specialist that can assist with any requirement in clay or concrete facing bricks.
Concrete Facing Bricks have evolved significantly over the past 15-years to now offer a high-quality alternative to clay facings. Some advantages of modern concrete facing bricks are as follows:
1. Cost – Prices for concrete facing bricks are generally lower than those for clay facing bricks. Prices can usually be fixed for long periods due to relatively low energy costs in production, thereby not being as affected by gas-price fluctuations as the clay manufacturers are.
2. Availability – The production process for concrete facing bricks is far quicker than that of clay facing bricks, allowing significantly more flexibility in this regard. This can be critical to ensure continuity of build-programmes, especially in times of high demand within the industry.
3. Aesthetics – The colour ranges and mixtures available are very attractive as can be seen from the attached selection of pictures.
4. Colour-Fast Guarantee – An old argument against concrete facings was to do with colourfading of the pigments over a period of time. Due to colour-fast pigment technology the new generation of facing bricks are guaranteed to look the same after 10-years as they do on day-1 !
5. Full Technical Back-up – In conjunction with our partnering manufacturers BBS offers a full service from the point of view of technical & design advice along with any further back-up which may be required.
6. Environmentally Friendly – The Carbon Footprint for the production of modern concrete facing bricks is significantly less than that of clay facing bricks for several reasons including:
A) the main constituent used is graded-dust which is classed as a ‘waste’ by-product of quarrying;
B) the curing process does not involve gas-fired kilns and so is very low on energy consumption compared to clay facing bricks; and
C) cement only makes up approximately 5% of the mixture used in manufacture. As a result BBS has found many clients such as Social Housing Associations to be very switched-on to the use of concrete facing bricks instead of clay.
7. Widely used and accepted – Many big name house-builders are now using large quantities of concrete facing bricks, including: Keepmoat; Bellway Homes ; Charles Church; Persimmon; Barratt; Taylor Wimpey; Balfour Beatty; and Lend Lease, to name but a few.
Clay and Concrete Block Paving:
Most clay and concrete brick manufacturers also offer a range of complimentary clay block-paving products. BBS work closely with the manufacturers to offer our clients a full service of sourcing and supply for all needs. Please see our separate sections on clay and concrete block paving under ‘hard-landscaping’ products.
Reclaimed bricks are sourced to match individual project needs, generally coming from a specialist network of demolition contractors which BBS have developed strong relationships with over the years. Within the Reclaimed Brick market there are a host of different sizes, textures, and manufacturing methods (‘wire-cut’, ‘handmade’, ‘pressed’ to name but a few) which require a good level of skill and knowledge to identify, source, and supply correctly. Often this experience is called upon by architects, specifiers, and builders to assist where projects are in Conservation areas, or simply that it is important for bricks to be supplied which match an existing building whilst it is being extended or added to.
Special-Shaped Bricks are supplied by most manufacturers to match each brick in their range, however we also work with a selection of specialist ‘cut and bond’ brick manufacturers who can create virtually any ‘special shape’ of brick using the manufacturer’s standard bricks.
Pre-fabricated brick products:
Many of our partnering special-shaped brick manufacturers also offer a range of pre-fabricated units such as brick-arches and lightweight chimney stacks. Pre-fabricated products are proving more and more popular to aid both the speed of build and often offering many financial savings in relation to structural supporting steel and lintels.