Back in 2014, the Queen and Prince Philip officially reopened the 19th century refurbished Cutty Sark tea-clipper at it’s dry dock in Greenwich, London. Working very closely with Volker Highways, BBS Natural Stone were proud to be the supplier of silver grey granite to the refurbished landscaping of the Cutty Sark Gardens.
Carefully chosen kerbs, channels, copings, planters and bespoke seating blocks were delivered along with matching paving in areas directly around the historic ship. Custom made silver grey granite slabs with grooves to reflect the ship’s rigging were laid around a larger planter, each paver was made individually, packed and delivered as a set and laid in exactly the right place so each piece links to the next. The picture to the side shows the contrasting silver grey granite banding coursing through the open mix Caithness flagstone paving from A & D Sutherland, owner of the Spittal quarry since 1966. This stone looks fantastic with its mixture of colours where it has oxidised from dark blacks to light browns. BBS has the only supply chain agreement with A & D Sutherland, the country’s largest supplier of Caithness Flagstone Products. To find out more about their quarry and stone, visit their website here.
About the Cutty Sark
A 5 year project worth £50 million, the Cutty Sark refurbishment was bound to be spectacular, and it is! Originally built in and launched from Dumbarton, the tea clipper has been berthed in a dry dock at Greenwich since 1954. The Queen and Prince Philip opened the attraction in April 2014 after extensive work and talented craftsmanship restored the ship after its devastating fire that almost destroyed it in 2007. Despite the extensive fire damage, around 90% of the visible fabrics and fittings on the refurbishment belonged to the original 147 year old ship.